Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 2

Today we made a Fish Fumet. Sounds fancy.... but really it's just a fish stock with white wine (mmm...wine.)

I have a feeling the next few posts are all going to read something like:
"Today we made_______, which is kind of boring, but in two weeks will be used to make __________." (The second blank will be something wonderful, of course!)

I guess you have to learn to crawl before you learn to walk.... I don't because I am awesome, but in school apparently they have to treat all students as if they are on the same level.

So, my above feeling is correct and the next couple weeks are going to be lots of basic sauces and stocks. However, in all honesty, as gross as "fish bone water with a few veggies thrown in" is..... the reason I am in culinary school is to learn classic techniques and become a wonderful chef- and the basics are pretty important.

Ok..... so, Fish Fumet....

Definition:
White fish stock with sweated mirepoix and white wine.

Method:
Combine white mirepoix (onion, turnip, and celery) leeks, and mushroom. Sweat over medium heat. Add fish bones, white wine, bouquet garni (peppercorns, thyme, and parsley wrapped in leek) Reduce. Add COLD water. Cover with a "cartouche" and simmer 40 minutes. Strain.



Thrilling, I know.

When it is used to make a shrimp bisque or clam chowder I will be eating my words. Really. I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment