Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Dark Chocolate Spelt Brownies

We are just over two weeks into 2014 and I must say, I am doing some really impressive things this year. Things like going to bed a little bit earlier, eating a little bit healthier, and drinking a little less... Like almost 1/2 a glass less, per day! Also, in an effort to find my long lost abs, I've started doing Pilates... ok, I'm only two classes in, but how many have you done this year!? And, get this, I have even started washing my face before bed. Maybe it was kind of gross that I didn't already do that, but that's beside the point. My point, my as ever, long winded point, is about making good decisions. But, here's what you have keep in mind: Good decisions are actually bad decisions if they are not as much fun as the bad decisions. Which mean if good decisions can become bad decisions they are actually good decisions because... Oh my God I've gone cross-eyed. This is why I can never watch "Back To The Future."

Now, lets put today's lesson into food terms, which are the best terms.

Bad decision: 
Coming home from Pilates and eating a brownie.

Look, I am all for indulging, but that brownie just negated my entire workout that was hard enough to drag myself to in the first place.

"Good" decision: 
Coming home from Pilates and eating some stupid boring greek yogurt or protein bar thing that leaves my mouth tasting like monohydrogonatedmadeupfoodstuff and still craving that damn brownie.

Best decision:
Coming home from Pilates and indulging in a brownie that actually tastes as good as the real thing, but has just a hint of nutrition. Not a healthy brownie, but a browny with a hint of health, a whisper of well-being. I am not talking about some disgusting, cardboard resembling, makes you want to puke brownie. I am talking about a brownie that actually tastes as good as the real thing, made with real ingredients, with real names and that has some whole grain goodness!

Yes I said whole grains! More specifically: spelt.

Now, you may remember spelt because that's how your "special" friend in elementary said and spelled "spelled." Or, hopefully, you remember it from the best ever peanut butter cookies that you can find the recipe for HERE. Spelt is a relative of wheat, so, while it is low glycemic, it is not gluten free (which unless you're celiac, doesn't matter. Sorry, hip actresses.). Spelt is, however,  packed with nutrients that regular old white flour is stripped of when it is bleached and processed (like manganese and fiber). And, if you've ever eaten Cheerios, you will know that whole grains are good for your heart. Duh!

Thankfully, switching spelt for regular white flour is not like switching it out for whole wheat flour. That would be a BIG mistake. Whole wheat flour tastes a little bit like burnt chalk, while spelt flour has a toasted, nutty flavor... kind of like walnuts!

Ok, sales pitch complete. Go buy some spelt flour (I always buy this one) and get baking! And for the record... I'm not saying to eat a brownie every day after your work-out, because, let's be honest, those LuluLemon pants will not make your ass look good for very long. And while these brownies are high fiber, they do still have butter and sugar in them... I am not some hot ginger wizard. But, I do believe that everything in moderation is a-ok and, eating cardboard is just going to leave you with a raging sweet tooth anyways!

Dark Chocolate Spelt Brownies


Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate, chopped (about 6 ounces)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 large, organic eggs
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup spelt flour



Method:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a heatproof bowl, combine chocolate and butter and whisk over a saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in sugars. Whisk in eggs one at a time, until combined. Mix in cocoa, salt, vanilla, and then the spelt flour.

Pour batter into a greased 8x8 baking dish and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Let cool completely before cutting and enjoying... and I mean REALLY enjoying.

Makes about 16 brownies.




6 comments: