Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Le Cordon Bleu, you're a dream come true.

.....Ok, so maybe not your typical dream come true. Children who dream of becoming a doctor go to medical school and aspiring lawyers do in fact go to law school (shocking, isn't it?) So, one would think that when I walked into culinary school that very first morning (at 5:45 am..... gasp!) and my teacher asked me "What on earth are you doing here?" I would have replied with something along the lines of "I want to be a chef, duh!"

No.... not me.

I do not want to be a chef and I do not want to work in a kitchen... unless it is my own kitchen and has a large farmhouse sink and is bursting with French cookware (Le Creuset, please.)

The truth is, I could think of more fabulous things to do than stand in a sweaty kitchen, dressed in ugly clothes, with un-polished fingernails, having "HOT" yelled in my ear as my "colleagues" rush behind me with dirty dishes that I did not have the pleasure of eating off of. No, I would much rather look lovely, have my fingers polished, and have "HOT" yelled behind my back in reference to something other than pots and pans. However, I love food. I love cooking. And I really love people telling me how wonderful my cooking is.

So, there I was.... searching for an answer, and kind of wondering why my silk eye mask was strewn next to my bed at this ungodly hour rather than still assisting me with my beauty rest.

"Well," I replied, "I want to throw perfect dinner parties, maybe write a cookbook, maybe host a cooking show, and.... you know, be the wife that all of my husbands friends are jealous of."

Needless to say, I did not make too many friends on my first day of culinary school. Maybe I am an acquired taste..... like a truffle, if you will.......which you should- they are delicious.

It is now 6 weeks later. I am (finally) through Culinary Foundations 1 and have learned how to actively nap my way through Food Safety and Sanitations. I am fully functional on 4 hours of sleep and have come to find that a gym membership is of utmost importance.

It is 6 weeks later..... and today I FINALLY started cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment