Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday morning.

Sunday #2 found me in full home (bedroom and bathroom) make-over mode because I am the best girlfriend ever. I even went to the market in my painting clothes in the pouring rain. I guess I am just always thinking of others. 

Home make-over mode calls for a good hearty breakfast...... preferably covered in cheese and sour cream. It is 9 pm (post painting, now) and the thought of cheese and sour cream covered ANYTHING just made me hungry again. 

huevos rancheros.


Huevos Rancheros:
Oil/butter
Eggs
Corn tortillas
Onion
Garlic
Pepper jack cheese
Bell pepper
Can of diced tomatoes
Chicken stock
Jalapenos
Cilantro
Cumin
Chili powder
Salt
Pepper
Tabasco
Cayenne pepper

Black Beans:
Can of black beans with juices
Jalapeno
Onion
Garlic
Cumin
Chili Powder
Tabasco
Salt

Method:
Begin by making the rancheros sauce. Sweat onions and bell peppers in a sauce pan about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, spices, and jalapeno. Cook until fragrant. Add Can of tomatoes and the juices and 1 cup of chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook about 15 minutes. Season with salt and add a good amount of chopped cilantro just before serving.

Prepare the black beans. Seriously- Emily McCallister, you are a saint for sharing this black bean recipe. It is my absolute favorite.
Saute onions and jalapenos. Add garlic. Add black beans and the liquid from the can. Add spices. Let the beans cook for a bit and then mash everything together with a potato masher. Season with salt.

I fried the corn tortillas because it is delicious to do so (and also SO heart healthy) but you do not have to.

Fry eggs in a little oil and butter. I like my yolks extra runny, so they only need to cook for about a minute per side. Once flipped- sprinkle some cheese on top to melt.

To serve: 
Place fried eggs on top of the corn tortillas. Finish with rancheros sauce and garnish with cilantro. Serve with refried black beans. I also served mine with sliced avocado and sour cream.

Mexican food kind of completes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment