Thursday, July 21, 2011

Perogies.

My teacher said my perogies were some of the best he had ever eaten.
Not to brag but.....
Who am I kidding-- Totally to brag- I even did a dance after he cared for my ego so tenderly.

They were so good that I made them again at my dinner party that evening so that I could brag again and people could stroke my ego...again.
I kept a plate for myself in the kitchen..... my name is Sarah and I am kind of a *huge asshole.

*huge as in: very much, not very large.....unless I keep eating perogies instead of socializing.


Perogies

Ingredients:
Dough-
4 cups flour plus some for dusting
3 large eggs
2 tbsp sour cream
1 cup water, more as needed
Salt

Filling-
3 russet potatoes
2 tbsp butter, plus more to sauté at the end.
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cabbage, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp thyme,  minced
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
Salt and Pepper.... a lot of salt. 

Method:
For the dough-
Mix the ingredients in a large bowl until just combined. 
Move the dough to the table and knead until the dough has a smooth surface and is not sticky. 
Let the dough rest for 30 minutes. 




For the filling-
Boil the potatoes until soft, peel, and cut into medium dice. 
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook until the onions are translucent. Add the cabbage and cook until soft. Lower the heat and continue cooking the mixture until the cabbage and onions are caramelized. Add the potato to the pan and cook until it is mashed together and the flavors are combined, about 10 minutes. Remove the mixture from heat, mix in the parmesan cheese and the parsley. Set aside to cool. 




To assemble-.
Roll out the dough to about 1/8 inch thick... like ravioli... and using a cookie cutter, cut small circles.
Fill each circle of dough with a spoonful of the filling. 
Fold the sides together and crimp with a fork for presentation and to keep them from coming apart in the water. Dust the filled perogies with flour and set aside. 


 




Boil in heavily salted water for about 5 minutes until the pasta is cooked. Drain. 
Heat butter in a heavy sauté pan. Sauté the perogies until golden brown on both sides. 

Serve with sour cream and relish in being the hit of the party (as usual.)





No comments:

Post a Comment