Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Spaghetti Limone Parmeggiano with Fresh Basil

I am feeling so passionate about this pasta that I just whipped up that I decided to sit down and actually write a blog for the first time in oh, I dunno..... 2 months and 2 days (Oops)

I have been pretty much carb free lately, minus the cocktail induced need for pizza and chinese food that overcomes me every weekend, but today I had a hole in my stomach the size of a bowl of pasta. Seriously.... spaghetti squash was not going to kill this craving. So I caved and turned to Gwyneth Paltrow for some help. Gosh, I love her.


Spaghetti Limone Parmeggiano with Fresh Basil

Holy delicious. I mean...... I could not dream up a more simple summery pasta. Fresh basil, lemon, and olive oil were pretty much invented to go together and the parmesan cheese gives the dish just a little richness. It is perfect. 

Ingredients:
3/4 pound of spaghetti (I used whole grain spelt pasta and it was STILL delicious. Hard to believe, but true)
Kosher salt
1 lemon
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup or so of left over pasta water to thin
Handful of fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced

*This is pretty much exactly as is from Gwyneth's recipe, I used less cheese, but that's about it. 

Method:
Cook the pasta according to the package directions. 
For the love of God, make sure it is al dente.
Using a microplane, zest the lemon into a bowl. Add the juice of the lemon, parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and mix to form a paste. Add 2-4 tablespoons of pasta water to the paste to thin it out and then add the spaghetti and toss to coat. 
Sprinkle the chopped basil on top and serve with a grind of black pepper. 




4 comments:

  1. I make something similar to this and it is wonderful. Can't wait to try your version. As well as eating it alone, it is great with many things.... my favorite way to eat it is along side a really good grilled New York Strip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm New York Strip.
      I am actually making Lobster Tails tonight for the family I cook for and am going to make this as a side dish.....I think it could be eaten with a shoe, but that's just my opinion :) delicious.

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could e-mail me?

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever tried it cold? Wondoering if it would make good eating for a summer picnic...

    ReplyDelete