Saturday, February 9, 2013

Beer Braised Sausages with Leeks, Peppers, and Brussels Sprout Hash

If I could braise a shoe, I would. No joke.
Gosh, I love braised meats.
Buutttt pork is generally yummier than leather, so last night I decided to go with some sausages instead.

Yes. Delicious pork sausages slowly simmered in ale until they are perfectly tender and smothered in leeks and peppers.... I was quite proud of myself last night. I mean, I pretty much could have had date night with myself and totally sealed the deal, but it was nice having my hubby there, too.

Beer Braised Sausages with Leeks, Peppers, and Brussels Sprout Hash


Ingredients:
4 mild Italian pork sausages
2 large leeks, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups ale or lager
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Freshly ground pepper
1 bay leaf
Salt
Brussels sprouts, chopped
Olive oil

Method:
In a pan over medium- high heat, brown the sausages until golden on all sides. Remove them from the pan and set aside. Add the chopped leeks, bell peppers, and bay leaf. Sauté until the leeks are beginning to caramelize and the peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar, beer and salt and pepper and add the sausages back to the pan. Simmer on low heat until the sausages are tender, about 20 minutes. 

In another pan, sauté the chopped Brussels sprouts in olive oil until caramelized and a little crispy, but be careful not to burn. 

Spoon the Brussels sprout hash on to a plate, transfer the sausages to the plate and top with the sautéed leeks, peppers, and braising liquid. 

This is such a quick and easy dinner and if you want to get real crazy you can make some Guinness Ice Cream for dessert. Yeah, I sure did.... recipe coming soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment