Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pea Shoot Salad with Strawberries and Shaved Cucumbers

I'm not going to lie.... spring is actually my least favorite time for seasonal produce. There are obviously a few winners: artichokes, asparagus, and every kind of citrus you can dream of. But come summer, my little farmer's market shopping heart is singing from the rooftops!  My freckles are beginning to pop up and my allergies are raging..... this can only mean one thing- SUMMER PRODUCE! Yippee! With the temperature rising, the hubby and I have started frequenting all of our local farmer's markets on a more than regular basis. And while I'm not up to my elbows in perfectly ripe peaches just yet, a few summer favorites have already started popping up... and a few new favorites!

How am I just now finding out about pea shoots!!!!

I love green peas. They taste just like green peas. We are a match made in heaven!

As you can imagine, pea shoots taste like the peas that they grow. They are sweet, crunchy, and so so tasty! Apparently you can replace most lettuces with them, add them to stir frys, or.... make this amazing salad. This was my first rodeo with my new favorite green, and it will certainly not be my last!




Ingredients:
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp organic honey (local if you have allergies!)
1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/2 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 bunch of pea shoots
Almonds & goat cheese

Method:
Pour the honey and balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and reduce by 1/2 over low heat. Let cool. If you don't feel like making a reduction, Whole Foods sells a great balsamic reduction. I once bought it by accident.... best accident ever.

Toss the pea shoots, strawberries, and cucumbers together and drizzle the balsamic reduction on top. Top with almonds and goat cheese. I clearly was all out of goat cheese, but I really wish that I wasn't.

Rich told me this was one of his favorite salads of all time. That actually means something.... he is not as hyperbolic as I am.


***There are so many Farmer's Markets around town... LA Times Farmer's Markets is a great website if you want to venture away from the overwhelming Hollywood Farmer's Market on Sundays!

No comments:

Post a Comment