Thursday, July 18, 2013

Fig and Honey Ice Cream

I am getting a late start today. The Mr. and I hosted trivia last night (I know, we're super cool) and the two-ish (read: "five")  glasses of wine that I had to cure my stage fright really took their toll. Ugh. I do not deal with hangovers well. Not at all. 

I made a grilled cheese for breakfast because I am a 12 year old (that drinks "two-ish" glasses of wine on a Wednesday night) and have been getting to know the comfy side of our couch really well. I don't know what has happened to me in my ripe old age of 27, but when I was in college, for that semester, I knew nothing of this mopy, alcohol induced depression. I was a young, spring chicken that could throw back a few margaritas at night and run 3 miles in the morning. Who am I kidding. I hate tequila and rarely get my heart rate above whatever my resting heart rate is. But you get the idea... Hangovers suck. Almost as much as running. 

So, here I am at 2:30 getting my life together. There is bolognese sauce cooking on the stove and I am joyfully eating this fig ice cream that I just made. Holy F is it good. It tastes a little bit like fall.... which I am ok with... but I felt it necessary to give you a heads up that it may induce pumpkin pie cravings and the odd need to put on a sweater. Speaking of which, I should probably get dressed. Time to make something of this day.




Ingredients:
1 pound ripe black mission figs, stemmed and quartered
¼ cup honey
2 tbsp. light brown sugar
1½ tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 stick cinnamon
½ cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1½ cups heavy cream
½ cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Method:
Bring figs, honey, brown sugar, juice, ½ tsp. salt, cinnamon, and ⅓ cup water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until figs break down and mixture is thickened like jam, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

Meanwhile, using a hand mixer, beat sugar and egg yolks in a bowl until pale yellow, about 5 minutes. Add remaining salt, cream, milk, and vanilla, and beat until combined. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. After churning, alternate layers of ice cream and fig sauce in a storage container, and then freeze for at least 6 hours to set.

Inspiration from Saveur Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment