Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fresh Mint Chip Frozen Yogurt

I always joke that I eat ice cream for breakfast, but I never actually have.... until today. I dunno. I woke up to a hot apartment and it just really seemed like acceptable behavior. Plus, Rich's back is still hurting and he's being a total baby about it, so I figured if he can act like a child, I can eat breakfast like one. So after I made Rich some eggs....... and I had a bowl of ice cream like a fat kid pretty girl. 

Here's the thing.... you know how sometimes, oh, I dunno..... they put an egg on a bacon cheeseburger so your husband is like "this is an acceptable breakfast sandwich.... theres AN EGG on it!" That is how I felt about this ice cream.... IT HAS GREEK YOGURT IN IT! This means three things:

1. Anything with REAL yogurt in it is automatically healthy*
2. Anything that is healthy is a great breakfast food. 
3. Frozen yogurt is an acceptable breakfast food. 

I know, I know- best use of PROOFS ever. Remember high school geometry? Who says that shit doesn't come in handy one day. (Hannah, stay in school. Being pretty isn't a career. Wait... Marco says it is.) So, in order to make this proof true, I'm blogging a recipe about it. Because even if you don't believe in math and science, everyone knows that if you blog something, it has to be true. (Seriously, stay in school, Hannah.)

*While this statement may be fact to me... it is not actually fact and should not be taken seriously. 



fresh mint chip frozen yogurt photographed in porcelain ice cream cones
 from anthroplogie. are they serious with these? best invention ever. best purchase ever.


Ingredients:
I cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 agave nectar 
3/4 teaspoon organic peppermint extract
2 cups greek yogurt (I used 2%, not whole milk and it turned out great)
2 ounces mini chocolate chips

Method:
Combine the chopped mint leaves and the cream in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once the cream is simmering, add the agave nectar and remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes. 

Once cooled, pour the cream through a sieve to remove the mint leaves and then combine with the greek yogurt and peppermint extract. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 30 minutes, or until chilled, and then churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. When the yogurt is just about finished churned, add the chocolate chips. 

Store in an airtight container for up to a week. Makes 4-6 servings.



Inspiration from Sprouted Kitchen by Sara Forte.





No comments:

Post a Comment