Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Grilled Fish Tacos with Purple Slaw

I am being very indecisive today. This morning I changed shirts three times just to take the mutts to the dog park. For lunch I had three mini meals because I have not been able to decide on anything to eat.  All I knew is that I wanted to eat EVERYTHING. My husband? His name has been 17 different things, we've discussed why I can't also have a boyfriend and I am still trying to decide which one of my dogs gets to be my favorite for the day. I guess this is a big fat reminder that I am, indeed, a woman. And because I'm a woman, I'm sad that it was a fat reminder, so today, my lunch shall be skinny-ish.

For my first lunch I had my heart set on fish tacos, but with the big question being WHAT KIND?!?! I love slaw... I love grilled fish... I love crispy fried fish (think mexican fish and chips....mmm....) I mean, there are SO many possibilities it makes a ginger's head spin! (Our heads spin extra fast because there's always so much going on in them. It's very exhausting)

I decided to nix the crispy fried version first. It was an easy decision. After what I put my body through last weekend it was the very least I could do for myself.  I was now left to choose between grilled fish tacos and fish tacos with a purple cabbage slaw.... yeah right...... So I decided to do the only reasonable thing to do and make both.... together... as one whole fishy, cabbagey, amazing creation. I know, I blow my mind, too.




Ingredients:
For the fish
1 pound of wild caught, alaskan halibut (wild caught, wild caught, WILD CAUGHT!!!! ok? cool.)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups of fresh parsley leaves
1 cup fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
Juice from 2 limes
1 teaspoon cumin
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper



For the slaw
1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded
5 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 jalapeño, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 3 limes
1/2 cup greek yogurt (you could use sour cream, but they taste the same... so let's be healthy!)
Salt and pepper


Method:
For the fish
Combine all of the ingredients (except for the halibut, duh) in a food processor and pulse until combined. Place the fish is a shallow dish and cover with the marinade. Cover and put in the fridge for about an hour to let the flavors get... well, flavorful and stuff.



Preheat your grill to high heat and grill that fish! Spray your grill with cooking oil so that the fish doesn't stick.... if you don't it will get messy and when you cry for your husband to help you clean the grill, he will be annoyed. This may or may not have been a personal experience. Oops.



The fish will need to cook about 4 minutes per side or until desired doneness. Once cooked, break the fish up into chunks, place in warmed flour tortillas (I think corn tortillas have too strong of a flavor for these tacos, but to each their own...) top with some slaw or your other favorite taco toppings! Or just top them with everything in your fridge.... I understand. I can never make up my mind either.

For the slaw
In a small bowl, whisk together the greek yogurt, lime juice, garlic, jalapeño, and salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, combine the purple cabbage, scallions, and cilantro and toss it all together with the lime dressing. Season with salt and pepper. You can top your tacos with it or eat it on the side. It's super healthy (thank you protein packed greek yogurt) and very tasty!

Enjoy! (And then maybe make some mac and cheese.... or some spaghetti.... who knows!)


No comments:

Post a Comment