Friday, August 16, 2013

Rigatoni with Buratta, Summer Squash, and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes

I have been on a serious carb fest lately. (That is a thing, by the way. See: I only want to eat carbs all day.) This makes sense with our Palm Springs vacation coming up in only a few short weeks. You see, I really love to be healthy and in shape UNLESS I have to be in a bikini for 4 days. As soon as it's time for me to start perusing for a new bathing suit, it's also time to start my carb only diet. (Is butter a carb?) The only thing that could make my life easier would be if there were a bikini shop next door to Terroni.

Speaking of Terroni....I really love it there. Have you been? If not, you should go. In this humble Ginger's opinion, you won't find better Italian food anywhere in Los Angeles than at Terroni. This is a pretty big statement seeing as I have only had one dish there. I have been at least a dozen times, but the first time I went I ordered the homemade rigatoni with burrata and zucchini. Now, if you know me, this will come as no surprise because if there is ever ANYTHING on a menu that has burrata in it, I will order it with out question. Burrata and I are in love. Hard. (Don't tell Rich, he thinks we're just friends. He's so naive.) No matter how many times I go, I just have to order this pasta. It is perfection.

So, after our pizza grilling party the other night (yup, it was a party) I started thinking about my next meal immediately (I am such a fat kid) and I could not get this pasta out of my mind. I even dreamt about myself taking one cheesy bite at a time in slow motion. I used to have dreams about my wedding and nice romantic things like that... now I have them about pasta. Maybe it's because Rich is still on the couch being all old and injured (his back... STILL! Ugh, poor handsome boy. I guess while you're incapacitated, I'll leave it to cheese to please me). But with Rich stuck on the couch, I couldn't bear to leave him and take myself on a pasta binge date.... so I decided to make it at home.

Just a note: I am watching The Today Show right now, as the Mr. and I do every morning because we are old and married (well, he is old and I am married) and Al is at the Iowa state fair (why on earth!!! I know....) and they just did a segment on a bunch of kids in a pie eating contest and I thought to myself "Sarah Keith, you could totally kick those 8 years olds asses in a pie eating contest..." This statement is F'd for many reasons, but mostly because it is 9:36am and now all I want is a pie....to myself. Ok. Back to Pasta.....

This pasta. 


Ingredients:
1/2 pound of rigatoni pasta, cooked to al dente, of course
2 pints of cherry tomatoes (or about 2 pints....)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp basil, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 Yellow squash, sliced (Zucchini would also be great!)
Burrata cheese
Kosher salt

Burrata is my soulmate. Don't tell my husband.


Method:
In a baking dish, combine cherry tomatoes, minced garlic, olive oil, and basil. Season with a pinch of kosher salt and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, giving the tomatoes a stir every now and then.



Cook the rigatoni to al dente. While the rigatoni is cooking, sauté the squash or zucchini until just browned.

Combine the rigatoni, roasted cherry tomatoes with their juices, and squash. Top the pasta with burrata cheese, season with kosher salt, and top with fresh basil if you so please... which I always do.

Enjoy, because.... how could you not?!

Penelope approved.




No comments:

Post a Comment