Saturday, September 7, 2013

Coconut & Raspberry Ice Cream (It's Vegan!)

It's hot. Like really, really hot.

Now, I know that I grew up in the hellish desert and some of you that still live in Arizona may think that I have lost my heat resistant skin, but let me tell you, I know that 112 degrees is hot. I get it. It's the desert. But do you know what else is hot? 93 degrees with 40% humidity in a 1940's building with crappy wall unit A.C. when you were born in Canada with sensitive ginger skin. Now, that's hot.

I'm grumpy. Heat waves are definitely the worst. Worse than tidal waves, that wave maker attachment for flat irons, even those waves at baseball games. Especially since I've already colored my hair for fall and I am feeling the itch to start decorating the house with my transitional gourds (these are gourds that are somewhere between summer squash and pumpkins). It should not be over 90 anymore! I want to wear boots and I really want to stop trying to convince myself that being hot and sweaty gives my skin a luminous glow, it just doesn't. It makes me look like that girl who swears she is sober enough to get into the bar...

So, after a night of violently throwing my blankets to every corner of my our bedroom as I tossed and turned without a wink of sleep (Rich slept peacefully, his neuroses confined to his dreams), I woke up all hot and sweaty (in the non-sexy way, did I mention Rich was sleeping?) and went straight for the internet. The only thing on my mind? Popsicles. I came across a recipe from Spoon Fork Bacon and would have started jumping up and down with excitement if it wouldn't have landed me near death with heat exhaustion. I mean, raspberry and coconut.... IN A POPSICLE? I love all of those things. But then it hit me.... popsicles take time. A lot of time. You have to wait for those frozen bitches to freeze and that can take hours... at this point I was pretty much about to burst into flames at any second (let the ginger jokes begin), like Eric suntanning on that mountain in True Blood. My point is... who has time to wait for popsicles to freeze?!

Man, my morning was pretty dramatic....

Once I turned the A.C. on and was able to think clearly, I realized that, while popsicles were not a convenient option for me at this time, there is always a frozen dessert that I can count on. Ice cream.


coconut & raspberry ice cream


Ingredients:
2 cans coconut milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 cup fresh raspberries


Method:
Combine the coconut milk, sugar, vanilla, and coconut. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. While the ice cream is churning, slightly crush some of the raspberries and then a few minutes before you are done churning the ice cream, add the raspberries and let them swirl through the ice cream. Enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment