Saturday, October 26, 2013

Buon Giorno!

One stop in Philly, a quick trip in NYC, an 8 hour red eye flight over seas, and a very confusing drive through Rome later... we are FINALLY in Tuscany! We're staying at the beautiful, rustic Poggio Etrusco, an organic olive farm, in Montepulciano and I think it's safe to say that the last 24 hours have left me rather speechless both from jet lag and from the incredible amount food and wine I have already managed to consume.

We had our first dinner in Italy at the quaint (but Michellen approved) Otseria La Porta in Monticchello last night... a small, walled, stone, medieval town famous for it's Sangiovese grapes and TO DIE for Brunello. Dinner made me want to cry it was so delicious. We had a salad of local porcini mushrooms tossed in olive oil and parmesan cheese, followed by a course of fresh ricotta and some jam (that I don't know what it was made out of), but I don't really care because it was divine. Rich had a pasta called Pici, which is rolled by hand, in an osobucco ragu that made me thankful I am not a vegetarian when we travel. I had ravioli maremmani con crema di mascarpone e tartufo fresco. Yes, a mouthful (both in name and in serving size). That long Italian phrase I won't try to type again is a Ravioli stuffed with fresh ricotta and spinach in a light mascarpone sauce with the most delicious shaved black truffles I have ever had. (Note: When Rich shaves = bad. When truffle shave = good.)

And don't get me started the wine. 15 euro for the best bottle of Rosso di Montalcino I've ever tasted. That's all I even have to say about that.

This morning we woke up and took a stroll through the hills and vineyards surrounding our little poggio. We met some horses, some dogs, and had a long conversation discussing whether or not we should cancel our flights home (sorry, Meg...)

It is perfect here. If you don't believe me... here's proof.



being greeted with a glass of local sangiovese

 resident chickens                                           Poggio Etrusco


this is my dream kitchen

the owner of our bed and breakfast is also a chef and cookbook author, and has
 my dream life, so obviously this is coming home with us... you're welcome, Marco. 


our room 




inside the walls of Monticchello

 
rosso di montalcino

fresh ricotta with the yet to be identified jam

local porcini salad with shaved parmesan

 from closest to farthest: my meal (named above), Rich's meal (named above)
and Rich's arm, anxiously waiting to eat while I took this photo


 he is the most handsome. yay for Europe beard.

breakfast at Poggio Etrsuco

 farm fresh eggs

strolling through the Tuscan hills that surround Poggio Etrusco




No comments:

Post a Comment