Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 5

I got a 'B' on one assignment last term.
(Have I mentioned that I am an overachiever and absurdly OCD, yet?)

I got an 85% on my mayonnaise final. My arm got tired from whisking and I could not go on.

So, needless to say, I was thrilled today in class when we made EMULSION SAUCES.

Beurre Blanc, Hollandaise, Mayonaise, Aioli, and Remoulade.

Beurre Blanc made me want to eat fish and Hollandaise kind of made me want to kill myself. (I do not enjoy needy.... hollandaise is needier than 12 of me on a really bad "my dog just died" kind of day.)

Mise en Place

Beurre Blanc:
Shallots
White wine vinegar
White wine
Butter (lots of butter)
Salt

Method:
Beurre blanc is actually incredibly easy to make, it is just very easy to break the emulsion and therefor very sensitive. (aww.)
Begin by sweating the shallots and peppercorns over medium heat. Add a small amount of white wine vinegar. Reduce. Add white wine and reduce to 'demi sec.' Once the wine has reduced down, mount the sauce with very cold butter. I did this slowly.... about an ounce of butter at a time. Sauce should have a velvety finish. Strain and season with salt to taste.

Monte de Beurre

Beurre Blanc

Hollandaise:
Egg yolk
Peppercorns
Water
Clarified butter
Lemon juice
Water infused with black peppercorns (that sounds fancy.... it's not)
Cayenne Pepper (optional)
Salt

Method:
Whisk egg yolk and about 1/2 tsp of water together in a bowl over a simmering pot of water.
Very slowly begin to add warm clarified butter. Warm. Not hot. Not cold. Warm.
If the temperature of the butter is too cold or too hot, the emulsion will break and if you are the kind of girl who is a tad high strung and wears her apron too high (you know who you are) then you will start to cry. (Yes, I saw you and I am now totally making fun of you.)
Continue to slowly add the butter (very slowly- literally one drop at a time) until the sauce has thickened to the proper consistency. This will take about 8oz of clarified butter. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Season salt to taste.
tip: if the emulsion looks as though it is going to break, add a few drops of water and then continue adding the fat. 


Let's be honest, going out for eggs benedict is MUCH, MUCH easier and probably more enjoyable. Just sayin......


Also....

 Remoulade and Ailoi

No comments:

Post a Comment