Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 20

Fish and Chips
(I am pretty sure these are British, not French...)

fish and chips.

Ingredients:
lean white fish- traditionally COD is used
Eggs
Flour
Panko bread crumbs
Oil
Salt (lots of salt...)

Method:
If you have a deep fryer, awesome. Heat it up- get that sucker going. 
I do not have a deep fryer. If I did, I would deep fry everything and it would not be pretty. My refrigerator is usually full (when it is actually full, which is rarely) of mainly vegetables and cheese. Both of those things are amazing deep fried which is case in point why I do not own a deep frier. 
Moving on....
If you do not have a deep fryer. Heat up a neutral frying oil in a large pot. I use my dutch oven. You do not want it all the way to the top. Oil fires are very messy. Just enough oil to be able to submerge whatever you are frying will do. 
Prepare ingredients. Chop potatoes- we all know what french fries look like. I like mine a little on the crunchy side, so I cut mine pretty thin. If you cut them too thick they will burn, not cook. Place the cut fries in water until you are ready to use them or else they will begin to oxidize. 
note: if you hold your potatoes in water, make sure to dry them before placing them in the fryer. Oil and water do not mix and cause very bad burns when forced to do so. 
Cut fish into long strips. Season well with salt and pepper. 
Bread the fish by first dredging it through flour. This will help the egg and bread crumbs stick and prevent the breading from flaking off. 
Submerge in egg wash and then cover in bread crumbs.


flour. egg wash. panko crumbs. 


Oil should be heated to about 350 degrees.

Carefully drop fish in oil and cook until golden brown. 
Remove fish from oil, place in an oven safe dish (uncovered) and cook in the oven at about 350 degrees while you prepare your French Fries. The fish is done when opaque and flakey. 
To prepare the french fries, submerge them in the oil and cook until desired doneness. Remove from oil, place on paper towels to drain some of the oil and season well with salt while the fries are still hot. 

Serve with Tartar Sauce and garnish with lemon. 

Tartar sauce:
Mayonnaise
Capers
Gherkins
Lemon Juice
Salt
Pepper
Parsley

Method:
Combine prepared mayonnaise with finely chopped capers, gherkins, and parsley. Add a splash of lemon juice and season well with salt and pepper. 

I wish they were wrapped in newspaper, but I also wish I had a British accent and lived in a flat. Served on a plate will have to do. 




No comments:

Post a Comment