Friday, March 11, 2011

Eggs.

Day 18 covered different different techniques for cooking eggs.
Poaching, frying, over easy, eggs benedict, and omelets were produced.

..... produced by everyone except me because I could not get out of bed in the morning.

HOWEVER, I made up for being irresponsible by making some amazing baked eggs for breakfast that morning.

This will probably be the first of many posts about eggs. I really love eggs. Like, a lot. A. LOT.

I had actually never heard of baked eggs until I was in New York last summer.  And saw them on every breakfast menu in the city before finally giving them a chance. LA is a little behind on this dish and I haven't seen it anywhere since, which is mind boggling because I think it is one of my favorite ways to make eggs. Not only is this technique delicious, but it is a great way to use up things in your fridge because you can pretty much throw in anything.


baked eggs.

Ingredients:
Eggs
Spinach
Prosciutto
Cream
Parmesan Cheese
Green Onion
Salt and Pepper

Method:
Preheat oven to 400F. 
Grease a ramekin with butter or oil. 
Lay prosciutto in bottom of dish.
Lay a few leaves of spinach.
Sprinkle a little bit of cheese on top. 
Pour about a tablespoon of heavy cream on top of the cheese. 
Throw in some green onion or shallots.... Or more veggies here.... mushrooms are delicious.
Crack eggs into ramekin and season with salt and pepper. 
I top the eggs with a little more cheese and then bake for about 10 minutes or until yolks are to desired doneness. Once you pull the eggs out of the oven the yolks will cook for about 60 more seconds. 

(photo from Whatkatieate-- amazing food blog.)








No comments:

Post a Comment