Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 19

Lamb Stew and Shrimp Fritters with curried mayonnaise.

Today was the first day that we have cooked meat and let me just say this-  at 6 am it takes a mighty appetite to replace cherrios with lamb stew and thankfully that it a challenge that I am up for.

I really need to go to the gym.


navarin du lamb.

Ingredients:
Lamb (We used lamb shoulder)
Oil/butter
Onion
Shallot
Garlic
Flour
Tomato Paste
Bouquet garni (bay leaf and thyme)
Water
Peas
Green Beans
Carrots
Tomato
Turnip
Pearl onions
Salt and Pepper

Method:
Heat butter and oil in pot over medium heat. Brown lamb. I usually dry off my meat when browning, but today I did not and that was fine. However, when making a brown braise, it is very important to really brown the meat. My sauce was not as dark as I would have liked today because I didn't brown the lamb long enough.
Remove meat from pot and set aside.
Using the fat from the lamb brown onions and shallots. Again, I wanted my sauce darker, so I should have browned my onions longer. There are a lot of things I should have done differently with this dish (even though I still got 5/5) but we will get to that in a moment.
Once onions and shallots are browned add garlic and cook just until fragrant. Garlic burns very quickly and will make your dish very bitter.
'Pince' with tomato paste.
'Sange' with flour. This is the fancy French way of saying sprinkle......

Now, if you are very hungover from the night before and just happen to 'sange' with baking soda and cornstarch which is sitting at your station for your next dish..... do not worry because apparently this will not ruin your stew!
Yep. I thought baking soda was flour. This began todays inner breakdown.

Dear Chef Brown, 
As you are reading and grading this, please do not hate me. I know that you asked me if I added flour and I said yes, but I lied and I am sorry.  
Sincerely, Sarah.

Add meat back to pot. Add bouquet garni and enough water to cover the meat.
Bring to a simmer. Cover and let braise for about 45 minutes until meat is tender.

While the meat is braising, begin preparing the vegetables.
Blanch green beans.
Tourne turnips and carrots (this is incredibly difficult to do with shaky hands.)
Peel pearl onions.
Blanch and chop tomato.

Glaze turnips, carrots, and pearl onions.
Heat butter in saute pan. Add vegetables. Add sugar and water. Cover with a 'cartouche' and let simmer until vegetables are tender and liquid has turned into a glaze. Keep a close eye on the vegetables because they all cook at different speeds.

When braise is done cooking, remove meat and reduce sauce to 'nappe.' Add tomatoes and green peas. Season with salt.
Add meat back to sauce and spoon into shallow bowls.
Garnish with carrots, turnips, green beans, and pearl onions.


beignets de gambas.

I hate shrimp so much that I am not even going to write about it. 
I also hate mayonnaise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment