Monday, July 25, 2011

Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta Topped with Buratta Cheese.

 "Buratta" in Italian means butter.
I give you one guess as to why it is so unbelievably delicious.

I have developed a seriously unhealthy obsession with buratta cheese. Unhealthy as in "this has 90 grams of fat and close to 3480 calories" and in the "why can't I eat this 4 times a day?" kind of way.... It's bad, but so so so SO good

Now, I love bruschetta even when it's not topped with an extra 700 calories (do not hold me accountable to that number, I tend to be a little hyperbolic....please see above nutrition "facts" ) So, obviously add some creamy cheese and we are seriously in business.



Ingredients:
6 slices of good quality rustic ciabatta bread (I am already hungry)
2-4 ripe heirloom tomatoes (I used 3... mine were medium sized)
1 garlic clove, whole
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil, plus some for rubbing bread
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (this is not traditional, but it brings out the flavor of the tomatoes, so I say "why not?")
Several leaves of fresh basil cut into thin slices
Sea Salt
Ground Pepper
Buratta Cheese

Method:
Rub olive oil onto each slice of bread and then rub with the whole garlic clove. Toast in the oven for a few minutes until golden brown. You can also pan fry each slice of bread in a sauté pan on the stove, but I like it better in the oven. It's quicker and you use less oil. In a medium bowl, dice heirloom tomatoes. Add minced garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon tomato mixture onto each slice of bread. Slice buratta cheese....well, divide the buratta into messy, gooey pieces..... Place a piece of buratta on top of each piece of bruschetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment