Friday, July 20, 2012

Lavender Shortbread with Lemon Zest

I guess this would be part two of my borderline obsessive compulsive cooking with lavender day..... at least my house smells like heaven.

So, as I mentioned in my last post.... Richard is in Palm Springs for his bachelor party this weekend. Humphh. Now... I am all for a weekend getaway that leaves you in a hungover bliss for days on end and gives you an excuse to party like you're in college. I mean, let's be honest here... I am no stranger to some booze induced shenanigans. However, the idea of "one last hoorah" as a single guy (or girl) before you tie the knot seems a little silly to me. Last time I checked- bachelors and bachelorettes are not exactly single! Am I right, here? Buuuuut on the other hand.....I am fully enjoying the photos of compromising situations and questionable body parts that have been being texted to me by multiple parties (haha) annnnnd I'm not going to deny that I am a little curious to hear what the hell kind of strippers these boys were able to muster up in Palm Springs..... good luck boys ;)

Ok... so back to my wild day of baking and ice cream making....
Shortbread has to be one of my all time favorite cookies. It is a blank canvas for any flavor you could imagine to add to it, and it is delicious on its own. I love it.... and this particular recipe is fantastic.


 Lavender Shortbread with Lemon Zest

Ingredients
1/3 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon dried culinary lavender blossoms, chopped
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup all purpose, unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Method
In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, lavender, and lemon zest. Add the butter and mix with a hand mixer. Once mixed, add the flour and mix until a soft dough forms. 
Refrigerate the dough for about half an hour. Then, remove from the fridge, roll into a log, and chill for another 45 minutes to an hour. 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Slice the shortbread dough into half inch rounds. 
Bake the shortbread cookies on an un-greased cookie sheet for 20 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. 

Makes about 1 dozen cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment