Monday, September 17, 2012

Mahi Mahi Ceviche & Luna de Miel

I am now writing as a married woman!

The wedding is over (holy crap, was it ever wonderful!), the honeymoon has come to an end.... and everyone keeps asking me "What the hell are you going to do with yourself, now?!"

Hm......A tough question after the last 13 months of my life have revolved around burlap and lace, crafts, and floral arrangements. I don't have to thumb through magazines for inspiration anymore, or spend hours lost in wedding blogs learning how on earth you assemble boutonnieres. I get to have my life back...  and you get to start reading my blog again as I won't be distracted with an endless wedding to-do list every time I sit down at my computer. Lucky you.

Don't get me wrong, planning my wedding was one of my favorite things I have ever done and seeing it all come together as I was walking down the aisle on September 2nd, was one of the best moments of my life. I really did have the wedding of my dreams.... with the man of my dreams (did I mention my last name is now ONE SYLLABLE!?)

swoon.


Annnnnd what better way to follow such a dreamy event than with an amazing honeymoon. Seriously, absolutely amazing. We got to The Viceroy in Zihuatanejo, Mexico and were blown away..... I mean, it was more than we ever could have expected.

I sound like a commercial for weddings and other girly, stomach wrenching crap right now.... I am not sorry.












While we were in Mexico, my new hubby and I were lucky enough to have the opportunity to take a private cooking lesson from the chef at La Villa, the restaurant at our hotel. I am pretty sure I have touched on this 237876 times before, but I LOVE mexican food, so this was heaven for me.

We got to venture into town to buy all of our ingredients from the local "mercado" and when we returned to our hotel we were surprised with a kitchen and prep area set up for us ON THE BEACH. We are spoiled.

local fish market.

shopping for ingredients.

local produce market

not a bad view

our "kitchen"


Chef Alfredo had us prepare salsa, guacamole, a whole grilled red snapper, roasted plantains, and ceviche made with mahi mahi that had been caught just that morning. Everything was so delicious and so fresh. And dining on the beach wasn't too shabby either.

dining on the beach with Chef Alfredo.


I have never been the biggest fan of seafood, but I must say, the fish in Mexico was so SO fresh that it completely changed my mind. Even ceviche, which the thought of usually makes my stomach turn,  was to die for.

Ceviche with Mahi Mahi


Ingredients:
8 oz fresh mahi mahi fish fillet, thinly sliced
2 oz very thinly sliced red onion
1 serrano chili, de-viened, de-seeded, and very thinly sliced
2 teaspoons coriander
2 lemons
1/2 orange
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 avacado
Salt



Method:
Combine mahi mahi, onion, chili pepper, herbs, and salt in a bowl. Add the lemon and orange juice and let marinate for 5 minutes. The acid from the citrus will cook the fish during this time.

Serve the ceviche with sliced avocado and tortilla chips.
I may as well have licked the bowl clean.

Serves 2


By the way.... it is almost fall and my head is filled with sweet potatoes, cinnamon, and braised meats. I think I woke up this morning with fall recipes on my brain. I cannot wait. Get ready for a whole lot of yummy recipes!







No comments:

Post a Comment