Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Mussels with Chorizo & Kale- Part One


Here are the facts:

1. I hate HATE seafood (excluding sea bass and halibut, of course)
2. I cook seafood possibly more than anything else.

Between my steamed seafood and veggie loving boss and my husband who loves.... well, anything- I really cook more seafood in a month that most girls do in a lifetime. Good news, this probably keeps me at least 10 pounds thinner due to my compulsive need to shower right after I cook it resulting in the immediate loss of my appetite. Do you want to cozy up on the couch for a lovely night with your sweetie stinking of mollusks? I don't think so.

There are of course exceptions to every rule and manic behavior..... tonight I made mussels for the hubby and then was possibly the most hungry I have ever been. Pregnant? No.... it was the smell of CHORIZO. Ohhhhhh, Chorizo.

Get ready... this is a two parter that will knock your taste bud's socks off.


Mussels with Chorizo and Kale



Ingredients:
2 pounds of mussels
1 pound of chorizo, chopped and casings removed
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 cup of kale, coarsely chopped
1 cup of white wine
Lots and lots of chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

Method:
In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil and sauté sliced onions and chorizo for about 6 minutes.
Add kale and sauté until wilted, about 4 minutes.
Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add the mussels and wine. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until all of the mussels have opened up (discard any that have not opened.)
Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.




So, here's when things got interesting.
As the smell of chorizo, garlic, and onions took over all my my logic and will power.....I got a brilliant idea.

Pasta. All brilliants ideas involve pasta, wouldn't you say?

Annnnd.... on to Part Two.



No comments:

Post a Comment