Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mushroom & Purple Barley Soup with Swiss Chard

It is 96 degrees and humid outside... in Los Angeles!!! I know, WTF!

Dear Nature, your mother is a real bitch! 

Since going outside is gross in every way of the word, I decided to torture myself for the grumpy attitude that I had with my husband this morning (a peach in the morning I am not) by running errands.... gotta get ready for PALM SPRINGS this weekend! Woo! Anyways, I strayed a little from my plan (as usual)  and instead of buying a much needed new bikini, I bought a Yankee Candle instead. Now, I didn't buy just any Yankee Candle.... I bought the most cozy fall scent of all. Home Again. Yeah, I did it. And I did it in almost 100 degree weather. I may have lost my mind... or I may be awesome. I'm going to let you make that decision after what I am about to tell you next.....

So, I came home with my fall scented candle, sweaty and near heat exhaustion,  and decided that it was the perfect day to make a nice hot soup. I don't know why I decide to do these things (Rich take note, I understand myself as little as you do), but I do and I did... I also made mint ice cream to even out my insanity a little bit. I really love soup and I do not regret my decision. Plus, now my house smells like cinnamon-y pumpkins AND cozy fall food. Take that you crazy Mother Nature bitch with your heat waves!!!!

This soup is delicious. Make it now or wait three weeks until fall like a normal person.... I'm not here to judge.


hot.



Ingredients:
2 cups of Purple Barley... it's pretty and it must be good for you because a colorfull diet is a healthy diet.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 large leek, washed and sliced
1 bunch swiss chard, roughly chopped
3 cups of sliced mushrooms, this is clearly an estimate.... I used 3 packages
64 ounces No-Chiken Chicken broth (I think it tastes better than vegetable broth)
2 bay leaves
Salt and Pepper

Method:
Heat olive oil in a large stock pot. Sauté vegetables until golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and bay leaves and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add barley, swiss chard, and broth and cook about 1 hour until barley is tender. I ended up adding an extra cup of water or so because my soup got very thick. Your call on that one.... maybe you like your barley soup thick.... it's still summer here, so I did not.


eat while sitting directly in front of the A.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment