Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Fudgesicles!

Remember when you were a kid and your mom would strip you down to your undies and send you out into the backyard with a popsicle in one hand, which would of course turn you into a stick mess from head to toe, and a water gun in the other, eventually bringing your brothers to their watery death? Ok, so that was my mom and my childhood, but it was a good one and my brothers DID deserve to die. Growing up in Arizona, we would literally spend every waking hour outside in the pool, running through the sprinklers, and trying to drown each other with the garden hose. Without water, there is no life... especially during an Arizona summer. Or an Arizona winter. Or any time in Arizona. It's a friggin' desert. I am sure that most of us have our most fond childhood memories of summer because being a kid in the summertime is the very best time to be a kid! No school, loose bedtimes and all the icy, sweet treats you can handle! Sounds a lot like my life now.... you know, no school, very loose bedtimes and I usually lose count of how many popsicles I consume in a day when it is hot outside. Seriously, there are popsicle sticks piling up everywhere. And I am a sticky, blonde mess.

I have always been a sucker for fudgesicles (once you go fudge, it's hard to budge), but lemme tell you.... those things are filled with more crappy ingredients than a box of blue box blues (also delicious...) And while they may only be 100 calories, I would rather put 157 calories of pure organic sugar in my body than all of that crap... Because I live in Los Angeles, love Gwyneth Paltrow, and have lots of free time on my hands. Plus, I took the time to read the ingredient label. I'm still sounding out half of the words...

"nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, high fructose corn syrup, water, palm oil, cocoa processed with alkali, tricalcium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, guar gum, malt powder, salt, polysorbate 80, polysorbate 65, carrageenan" 

Yup..... Those are the ingredients in one fudgesicle! Am I crazy or should the ingredients be far more simple? Perhaps "fudge" and "sicle" would do? Since I couldn't find any pre-made sickle's I came up with my own recipe consisting of milk, sugar, chocolate, vanilla, butter, and cornstarch. That's it!

So, break out your popsicle molds! These fudge popsicles are creamy, chocolatey, and made from scratch! NOTE: No brothers were harmed in the making of this recipe.


Fudgesicles!



Ingredients:
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons unsweetened all natural cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups organic whole milk 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsalted butter 

Popsicle mold
Sticks

Method:
Combine chocolate chips, cocoa powder, milk, sugar, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until all ingredients are melted and combined. Continue stirring until the mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla extract. 

Let the mixture cool for about 30 minutes. Pour into popsicle molds, insert sticks, and freeze until completely frozen before serving! 

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment