Monday, April 18, 2011

I scream. You scream.

6 days since my last post. Yikes. What's scary is that my phone has almost 1300 pictures on it right now of which 3/4 are food pictures and most of them have yet to be uploaded and blogged about.

I have sucked at blogging lately, but the bills must be paid. Sorry.
Speaking of bills being paid, I am now officially a private chef.... personal chef.... I can't decide which title sounds hotter, but let me know and I will call myself that one.

I finally decided to jump on the churn your own ice cream bandwagon
Richard and I purchased our very own ice cream maker last week (yes, our first joint purchase, holy s*)
A week later we have 5 different flavors taking over the freezer.
I am going to be super skinny for Vegas. Can. Not. Wait.


Homemade ice cream 
with fresh mint and oreo cookies.

Ingredients:
Milk
Cream
Sugar
Fresh mint
Pure vanilla extract
Oreo cookies (6-8 cookies)
Pinch of salt

Method:
Bring 2 cups of cream and 1 cup of milk to a slow boil, careful not to scorch milk. Add about 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of packed fresh mint. Reduce heat. Bring to a simmer to dissolve sugar and steep mint. Remove from heat and cover. Let steep for about 30 minutes until desired mint flavor has been reached.

Remove mint leaves by straining mixture and let cool for about 30 minutes.

Add vanilla extract. Make sure you use pure vanilla extract... you know, like from actual vanilla beans and not chemicals. The fake stuff has antifreeze in it- this is not good for your ice cream (or for you- go figure!)

Add a pinch of salt. Turn on ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions from here. I added large chunks of Oreos about 5 minutes before my ice cream was done.

Grab a spoon. Bowls are usually not necessary.

Next?
Make lemon mint sorbet, tart frozen yogurt (like pinkberry!) caramel ice cream with s'mores, and strawberry rhubarb frozen yogurt.

This is going to be a tasty summer!

1 comment: