Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mother Theresa? Yes, I am.

Today I channeled my inner do-gooder who has been lost somewhere beneath the extra 5 pounds that I have gained from having no self control and way too many meals with red wine and dessert. 

All for research, right?

Richard (who is to blame for  at least 40% of the lack of self control) and I took a trip downtown to work at a homeless shelter for the day. I envisioned myself spending the day having to wear a big sloppy hair net using a huge ladle to slosh out gross soup while reminding myself that a little good karma never hurt anyone....ugh.

Welcome to the Los Angeles homeless shelter where homeless people can elect to be vegan and crepes are on the dessert menu.

We walked in and were greeted with a "so, who is the one in culinary school?" Special treatment and recognition? Please.... I loved it there.
I ended up being in charge of making dessert for 100 people and getting to boss Rich around. Best day ever. 


best sous chef ever... and he's handsome.


We made about 200 crepes and assembled them with fresh strawberry compote into layered caked topped with vanilla whipped cream. We needed a no bake recipe, which usually do not excited me, but this one was fantastic!


Layered crepes with fresh strawberry compote 
and vanilla whipped cream.


Ingredients:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 of sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups whole milk at room temperature
3 large eggs at room temperature
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoon unsalted butter- melted

Method:
Whisk together flour, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla. Gradually pour milk mixture into flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.

Grease a skillet (or if you are lucky like I was, a griddle) and bring to medium heat. Using a ladle, pour about 2 tablespoons of batter onto skillet and use the bottom of the ladle to thin out the mixture creating a large circle.
Cook about a minute until the edges are browning and starting to look dried out. Flip and cook other side about 20-30 seconds.

We filled the layers with compote, topped with fresh berries and vanilla whipped cream. Amazing.



I used some of the leftover batter for breakfast this morning and layered the crepes with maple and cinnamon glazed bananas, strawberries, and walnuts.

That is the kind of breakfast that gets you laid.

At home..... not at the soup kitchen.



No comments:

Post a Comment