Wednesday, May 4, 2011

When it's 94 degrees outside.....

..... make a huge pot of scorching hot tomato basil soup?

Not only was I sweating half to death as I drove to the market to buy ingredients, but I pretty much melted while I cooked and now resemble The Wicked Witch of the West after a good dousing of water.

Damn you southern California and your overly desirable summer weather. It is so hot. So so hot.


Fresh tomato basil soup


Ingredients:
5 Large, very ripe on the vine tomatoes
3 Onions
5-6 Cloves of whole garlic
Fresh basil
1 Jar of Whole Foods brand tomato basil sauce
3/4 Carton of low sodium chicken broth
Salt and pepper

Method:
In a large dutch over heat a small amount of canola oil and caramelize onions. They can be chopped any way as you will puree everything later. When onions are golden brown (the longer they cook, the better flavor they release) add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add chopped tomatoes..... fresh, not canned..... and cook 2-3 minutes. Pour in tomato sauce and chicken stock and let cook 10-15 minutes. I added a handful of fresh basil leaves (from my garden!) and then broke out the immersion blender that I have used once since I absolutely had to have it.

Note: It is super exciting when you get to actually use the things in your kitchen that you "had to buy to be happy"....... but only use once every other leap year. 

Puree soup until smooth. Adjust seasoning. Add salt and pepper. Eat, sweat, and enjoy. 

I am about to make some Strawberry Mint sorbet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment